Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Nemesis Issue 3



Written by Mark Millar
Art by Steve McNiven

Review by Dan Tres OMi

I almost gave up on this series until a certain talkative comic book retailer at a local comic convention explained that this issue was dropping in a matter of days. When I arrived at my local comic book store (big up Fearless Readers!), I was able to grab the last issue on the stand. After reading it from cover to cover three times in a row (something I rarely do), I can understand why.

Millar continues to shock and awe. In Issue #2, Nemesis is captured by Blake Morrow, DC's super cop. While everyone is happy that Nemesis is captured after killing thousands of people in Washington, DC, no one knows where the president is. Unbeknownst to Morrow, being captured is part of the plan.

Nemesis does a daring prison escape. He even provides super fast armored cars for every prisoner he sets free. The chase is on. There are even more twists and turns as the story flows. Millar does it once again. What Nemesis does to Morrow is unprecedented. Watch how he turns the table on Morrow and gets him with a double whammy.

Again, McNiven's artwork really sets the tone. The splash pages and wide panels tell so much without any words. McNiven's DC is both hip and gritty. I enjoy the fact that most of Nemesis' moves are done in the daytime. It demonstrates the power that Nemesis wields. I can't wait until the next issue. Maybe there we will find out what happened to the president.

No comments: